Pumpkin Pirates

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harpoon

2 posters

My First Thoughts on Inistrad

Rhizka
    Rhizka

My First Thoughts on Inistrad Empty My First Thoughts on Inistrad

Post by Rhizka Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:16 am

These are just some of the first thoughts I'm having after looking at some of the cards :]

Undead Alchemist(blue) fits perfectly into my zombie deck. I am officially pumped for Inistrad. Also the human stuff looks awesome. I'm thinking the Aura Curse subtype will eventually be assumed to "enchant target player" and will just take over as a gneeral subtype we'll see quite a bit of but they'll probably go a bit crazy with some blue or black enchant that will just be dumb =\ *sigh*

I do NOT like Army of the Damned. Thirteen 2/2 zombies? seems like too easy of a win condition.
    Endless Ranks of the Dead in black is also pretty dumb especially because it's not legendary. Personally I think the idea is cool and would have been better utilized in an Archenemy sort of setting.

Liliana of the Veil. Abilities: Seems a little under average (not that that's bad) excepttt....seems like she can easily get to her -6 ability with all the chump blockers black will have because of all of those "put 2/2 zombies into play" cards. And then making somebody sacrifice half of their permanents (lands included!) is ridiculous. =\ Also she has no lines of black magic or whatever it was on her body? Is this before she made some sort of deal with whatever demons she did? Is this like a prequel to the story of Liliana Vess? I guess I don't follow her character that much.

The keyword morbid seems a bit...silly. I don't like the name. Seen in black, Morkrut Banshee.

Village Cannibals is pretty intense.

Essence of the Wild + All those zombie cards = ridiculousness.
    Giks
    Giks

My First Thoughts on Inistrad Empty Re: My First Thoughts on Inistrad

Post by Giks Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 am

Power levels are ALL OVER THE PLACE!

We have crappy planeswalkers (by planeswalker standards, they are still op as a card type, more on that in another thread)and INSANE sorceries(army of the damned).

I know what they are going for, but 13 is not a friendly number for magic. stuffy doll and fire servant are going to have a blast however.

Flashback is a scary ability, but with the new power levels its just plain broken.

Morbid is silly. Any keyword that is used only in one block/set and requires an explanation on each card it appears on, ISN'T A KEYWORD!

The flavor of This set is great, minus a few cards. Undead alchemist isnt much of an alchemist nor dose an undead alchemist fit the zombie flavor of this set (mindless brain eaters).

The dragon (i forget the name) looks like reused art from new phyrexia and WTF is a dragon doing in this set ?

I feel it is obligatory for me to say it. WOOT HUMAN TRIBAL!!!!!!11oneone!

I feel negativly about the aesthetics and the draftability of double faced cards. They also do bad things with the rules of Morph. If WotC cant come up with a better way for the werewolves to "shapeshift" then maybe this wan't the set to include shapeshifting. I really hate that they trample and discard older keywords/abilities when exploring new design space. Morph joins Banding, Phasing and substance(and to a lesser extent First strike) in getting thrown out for something gimicky.

All in all i AM excited for the set(more so than any other set/block since Lorwyn/Shadowmoor)but it seems that the people who create magic have had a serious change in philosophy since lorwyn (including lorwyn) and i'm not particularly fond of the direction magic has taken in general.